Monday, January 10, 2011

Coincidental Clinic

On the whole I do not get enough lessons. It's kind of ridiculous because I actually LOVE having lessons, being challenged, even being yelled at a bit sometimes gets me pumped and makes me ride better.

I've had several dressage lessons with Sandy Phillips over the last year, and man when we would get done with my session I think I was more spent mentally than physically. To ride that correctly-- every step, every transition, every corner, every movement it takes your mind and your body working in complete sync. Add to that the communicating with another living animal, it's pretty awe inspiring what we all try to achieve with horses every day.

That's the dressage. Jumping has always come much more naturally for me, so it's even more important that I seek enough help so that I just don't go on auto pilot and forget to keep striving to get better. Just the knowledge that I gain from having a lesson or participating or just watching a clinic makes me a better teacher without a doubt.

Well before Phillip Dutton and I ever started discussing our new joint venture Will Faudree had organized to have him come to his Gavilan Farm in Hoffman, NC for a days' teaching. Our first attempt got snowed out right after Christmas, so this past Saturday was "make-up day". It was still pretty nasty weather-- dank, windy and cold with occasional flurries, but being on a horse was the best place for sure.

Photo: Allie Conrad
The best lessons/clinics I've had have been ones where the instructor wasn't trying to light your world on fire, or trying to be too showy or play to the audience. The best teachers will demand precision and perfection in very simple exercises emphasizing absolute straightness, genuine forwardness and complete rideability. Correct and an "economy of position" as I like to call it will also be taught.

All of the above were taught by Phillip the other day as I rode my Advanced horse, Dustin. Phillip stressed how especially at this time of year it is so important to set the tone for the year with your horse really listening to you. Every turn, every transition, every distance needs to be accounted for. There can be no cutting in through the turns, your horse MUST move away from your leg when asked, and he must be just as willing to wait. They must stay straight from approach, to take-off, to landing, and on the move away from the  jump. You have to train your eye to the forward and deep distance. It's the deep one that holds your horse to the jump and makes him think for himself. That is one reason why Phillip is so quick across country; not that he flies around like a maniac. He can gallop to the jumps because he has trained his horses to back themselves up. It was an excellent lesson: simple concepts were expected to be perfectly executed.  Sounds easy, but it was anything but. That's good teaching I think.

By the way, this is the view from my house today, as I'm sure it is in most of the southeast/mid-atlantic. I will not be riding today. It's been a CRAPOLA winter so far weather-wise!

No comments:

Post a Comment